- Class Format: Live
- Class Starts: August 29, 2018
- Sessions: 12
- Meets On: Wednesday
- Class Time: 1:00pm Central Time
- Class Length: 60 minutes
- Ages: High School
- Teacher: Mrs. Jan May
*This class has started, but there’s still time to enroll. The first class recording can be viewed on the class page once your enrollment is complete.*
**This is a single enrollment listing. One student can be enrolled in this class per class fee. If you would like to enroll additional students, simply increase the quantity of this class in your cart.**
Welcome to Creative Writing and Publishing for Teens Live Class! Learn the foundations of writing fiction and how to craft an unforgettable story with realistic characters, subject research and poignant themes. Whether you like fantasy, action or drama come and deepen your writing!
In this class we will explore character arcs, sensory writing, plot twists and lots more! Learn how to edit and format your story for online self-publishing on Lulu.com.
There will be two 5-7 page stories assigned throughout the semester and weekly writing homework that strengthens the fiction writing craft lasting approximately 45-60 minutes each.
Subject content must be approved by the teacher and must remain PG 13. This is a Christian based class so no writing of zombies, vampires, ghosts or witches, or anything with the point of view of death or demonic supernatural beings. Mythological creatures are ok as well as elves, and other types of beings from the Lord of the Rings. Blurring the lines between good and evil is not acceptable as a Christian worldview will be upheld.
The self-publishing portion (last 3 weeks) is optional. Students who do not wish to participate will have regular homework instead.
Students with Works in Progress may bring them to work on throughout this class.
FALL 2018 SEMESTER TOPICS:
- Developing deep characters-are your characters growing? Are they round or are they flat?
- Create a sensory setting by using all your senses-can I see, smell, taste, hear and feel the place you are writing about?
- Choose a theme that’s close to your heart and write about what you know.
- Research-all writers do it! It gives your stories believability
- Don’t be predictable-thicken your plot and use a few twists.
- Write like the pros, use stage directions in your dialogue and make it count.
- How much evil is too much evil in fantasy and action stories? Let’s expose the darkness and not participate in it. Keep things real but PG13.
- How to upload your finished story on Lulu.com and self publish your book.
Why Take a Creative Writing Class?
- Great way to earn high school English Language credit
- It’s a great way to supplement a current Language program by mixing things up.
- Creative Writing is a fun way to develop writing skills
- It also helps teens self express
- A student will learn to self publish for the aspiring young authors
- Great avenue for income for those who are willing to work at it
- Helps students become better creative non-fiction writers
Martin Luther said, “If you want to change the world, pick up your pen!”
This class begins on August 29, 2018 and runs weekly on Wednesdays at 1:00pm Central Time through November 14, 2018.
This class will be taught from a Christian point of view. Please keep writing PG-13 with no writing of zombies, vampires, ghosts, witches, or anything with the point of view of death or demonic supernatural beings. Mythological creatures are ok as well as elves, and other types of beings from the Lord of the Rings. Blurring the lines between good and evil will be not acceptable as a Christian worldview will be upheld.
Pre-requisites for Class: None
Supplies Needed for this Class: None
Textbook/Workbooks Needed for this Class: None
This class is subject to our Withdrawal and Refund Policy.
Questions? Contact our Customer Support team at email@example.com.