Welcome to Fundamentals of Drawing Hybrid Class!
**This class offers a discount for enrolling more than one student from the same family. Please use this listing to enroll your first student, but please use this listing to enroll subsequent students in the same family.**
Please note: Hybrid classes do not meet live. Please read about Our Class Formats for more information.
This class will cover the fundamentals of pencil drawing. It will teach the basic elements of drawing which must be utilized in all art forms. Students will learn to communicate through the use of visual images, grasping the concepts needed to create three-dimensional images on a two-dimensional surface. By the end of the course, students will know how to apply drawing basics with pencil and paper as well as techniques used to imply space, size, and density of objects found in everyday life. (No previous art experience or classes required for this course.)
- Week #1 Introduction
- Week #2 Surfaces
- Week #3 Shaping and Shading
- Week #4 Shaping and Layering
- Week #5 Deeper Shading and Starting Texture
- Week #6 Stacking Multiple Objects
- Week #7 Midterm Project
- Week #8 Adding Details
- Week #9 Foreshortening
- Week #10 Organic Objects
- Week #11 Advanced Layering
- Week #12 More Detailed Objects
- Week #13 Advanced Shading
- Week #14 Twists and Curves
- Week #15 Final Project
This class is a hybrid class. Upon enrollment, you will gain immediate access to the class page. As a hybrid class new materials will be available weekly starting from the listed start date. Here is the schedule for the class:
- Week #1 material posted: August 26, 2019
- No material posted September 2 – Happy Labor Day!
- Week #2 material posted: September 9, 2019
- Week #3 material posted: September 16, 2019
- Week #4 material posted: September 23, 2019
- Week #5 material posted: September 30, 2019
- Week #6 material posted :October 7, 2019
- Week #7nmaterial posted: October 14, 2019
- Week #8 material posted: October 21, 2019
- Week #9 material posted: October 28, 2019
- Week #10 material posted: November 4, 2019
- Week #11 material posted: November 11, 2019
- Week #12 material posted: November 18, 2019
- No material posted November 25 – Happy Fall Break!
- Final Project! All coursework will be December 16, 2019.
This class is 100% teacher-supported and all class resources will be delivered via a class page online. Students can contact the teacher with any questions or challenges, as well as interact with classmates via class forum boards.
Pre-requisites for Class: None
Supplies Needed for this Class:
- Pencil (Graphite Art Pencils recommended)
- Eraser (Hi-Polymer White Erasers by Pentel recommended)
- 8 ½ x 11 White Paper
- Ability to scan 8 ½ x 11 Paper to submit homework drawings
Textbook/Workbooks Needed for this Class: None
How do I know this hybrid class is right for my student?
If you have ever enrolled in a live class, but were unable to attend the live sessions due to a schedule conflict and watched the class recordings instead, you took that live class as a hybrid class. This class contains recorded lessons and the same homework and tests that were delivered in a live setting. Hybrid classes are the best of worlds! Your student can watch the class recordings at their own pace and on their own schedule, but there is the structure and accountability of a schedule so your student can stay up to date with their classwork.
This class is eligible for the Withdrawal and Refund Policy for hybrid classes.
Questions? Contact our Customer Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Design World Studios:
I am a scenic designer and artist based in Raleigh, North Carolina. I graduated with a MFA in Theatrical Design in May 2019. I worked as a teaching assistant at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where I instructed college students how to create props and scenery for plays and musicals. I have even worked as a director, designer, and manager of children’s theatre.
I consider myself a well-rounded visual artist who uses a multitude of artistic skills to do my job, including drawing, painting, model-making, sculpting, drafting, carpentry, Adobe Creative Suite, and even printmaking. When I am not working, I enjoy reading, cooking, thinking about my work, spending time with my friends and family, and playing with my little poodle.