**This listing will enroll one student into this class based on a payment plan. By completing enrollment in this class, you are agreeing to the terms of the payment plan.**
Welcome to IEW Beginning Writing Live Class!
Giant stinky flowers. Soup made from a bird’s nest. Men who changed the world. These are just a few of the “fun and fascinating” things students will write about in the lessons of this class. More importantly, students will also learn how to write with structure and with style. They will write stories, reports, a mini-research paper, and creative essays. Parents will be surprised at how much fun their students will have writing!
Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW)
Focus of this writing class will be the award-winning Institute for Excellence in Writing’s methodology of writing with structure and style, focusing on not plagiarizing while outlining and creating organized and well-written paragraphs.
Who Should Take This Course?
This is an IEW Level A course, which means that it is a beginner course. It is geared towards students ages 8 through 13 but will fit well for any student with an interest in improving writing skills and/or those who need instruction. Older students can be challenged with advanced dress-up requirements beyond what is typically taught within this class.
What is included?
Cost includes weekly lessons on the IEW units, vocabulary/grammar lessons and games, and editing of papers if submitted to instructor by requested due date. Each student receives personalized feedback on written work. It is not required that students submit writing papers, but it is highly encouraged.
This class begins on August 28, 2019, and runs weekly on Wednesdays at 9:45 a.m. Central Time through November 6, 2019.
Scope & Sequence
- Week #1 IEW Unit 1 Key Word Outlines
- Week #2 IEW Unit 1 Key Word Outlines
- Week #3 IEW Unit 2 Writing from Outlines, Strong Verbs, Quotation Marks
- Week #4 IEW Unit 2 Writing from Outlines, Quality Adjectives, -ly Words
- Week #5 IEW Unit 2 Writing from Outlines, Morals, Creating Titles
- Week #6 IEW Unit 2 Writing from Outlines
- Week #7 IEW Unit 2 Writing from Outlines, #3 Sentence Opener, Decoration: alliteration
- Week #8 IEW Unit 3 Narrative Stories
- Week #9 IEW Unit 3 Narrative Stories
- Week #10 IEW Unit 3 Narrative Stories (Three-Paragraph Report)
- Week #11 Review
This Fall class is Semester 1 only. Spring is a separate semester (Semester 2) and will complete the entire course.
This class begins on August 28, 2019, and runs weekly on Monday at 11:30 a.m. Central Time through November 6, 2019.
IEW‘s method of learning to write works wonderfully! Learn more about this IEW by watching this 6-minute video .
Pre-requisites for Class: Student should know all parts of speech and be able to write complete sentences.
Supplies Needed for this Class: a 1 1/2″ or 2″ binder, thesaurus, pens, highlighters, and 3X5 index
Textbook/Workbooks Needed for this Class: All Things Fun & Fascinating
from Institute for Excellence in Writing: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/
This class is subject to our Withdrawal and Refund Policy.
Live and Hybrid Class Withdrawal/Refund Policy
(Applies only to classes of more than 4 sessions/weeks.)
- Withdrawal before 2nd session: Full refund of class fee
- Withdrawal after 2nd session, but before 3rd session: Refund of 2/3rds class fee
- Withdrawal after 3rd session, but before 4th session: Refund of 1/3rd class fee
- Withdrawal after 4th session: No refund*
Questions? Contact our Customer Support team.
About Mrs. Ginny Lennon
Mrs. L. is a mother of four home-schooled children (two have graduated) and is a certified Institute for Excellence in Writinginstructor. Mrs. L. has taught IEW in both traditional and online classes for over fifteen years and enjoys watching the students improve in their writing skills. As a retired Navy family, Mrs. L. and her family homeschool on the East Coast after twenty years of learning around the world. In her free time, Mrs. L. enjoys crocheting, exercising, cooking, reading, and RVing.